Friday 13 June 2014

Where are we today?

My daughter Lucy is in the maternity ward somewhere in Manchester. Ellie, my granddaughter, whahey! simply refuses to get a move on and will require some incentive. It is Friday 13th June 2014 so nobody wants to force that one. Not really superstitious but would you walk under a ladder with a guy with a pot of paint up there? No.

How's the book coming along? I'd like to say very well but I'm an impatient sod..come on! Ridley! Get it on film! FFS! Or the bloke who did Batman..

No, Twitter followers are mounting (at 519 today) hardly viral, barely a sneeze really. The publisher bloke tells me off for my impatience and wary dread of trooping round book shops. Wanna stock my book? No, we're full. Apparently I have the wrong attitude - I'm not selling a story, I'm selling me. Sell that and the book sales follow. Hum. What if I don't want to be sold? I emailed all of the Waterstones that the PR guy contacted. 1 reply and they, my heroes at Waterstones Leicester, have asked me to do a book signing in July. The Peterborough branch said wait, we've had signings, people just walk past them and ignore them. Another said they'd had a minor celebrity who sat on his ass all day getting more and more depressed. I am told not to listen to this negativity. I do remember as a salesman, the differences between positive and negative and fantasy and reality which swing on two wheels in the air and when positive and fantasy coincide - well you know the rest.

Highlight of the week is BookViral's review. I reproduce it here:

Posing an enthralling and harrowing apocalyptic vision The Quiet Government Men is the debut novel from author Chris Cauwood and it makes for a thought provoking read. First impressions are strong with Cauwood setting tone and tenor for an easy flow of events, revelations, character development and execution of an intricate and intriguing plot. This is no trite post-apocalyptic world that Cauwood creates and as his narrative progresses it becomes increasingly clear that there is much more to this novel than first appears. Too many novels pay superficial deference to originality and it is always refreshing to find a writer who demonstrates diversity in thought and execution, whilst avoiding the pitfalls of overt imitation. Cauwood certainly sets himself apart with his chilling dystopian undertones and with a well-considered cast of characters he brings notable depth to his tale.

 

An intriguing and entertaining debut, The Quiet Government Men is sure to attract a host of followers for author Chris Cauwood and is certainly deserving of your attention. It is definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment